I had a bunch of stuff but no recipe that included all of the stuff I had and wanted some soup. Some HEARTY soup. The kind of soup that you wanted multiple bowls of in one sitting. Because of my current grocery shopping limitations I've learned to simply make it do what it do and use what I have.
That said...I started tossing some stuff together in a way that made sense and WOW! It was so good, I had to stop and take a picture mid-bowl so I could tell yall about it!
So...this is what I did. I'll try and write it out like a for real recipe. LOL!
- Bacon grease. :)
- Italian sausage (Remove from casing. I used turkey and it was the spicy kind.)
- 4 large potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 8 cups of chicken stock (yall know I swear by Herb Ox)
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Bunch of collards (cleaned, stripped and cut into manageable strips)
- Seasoning (Tony Chachere, red pepper flakes, parsley)
Add enough bacon grease to the bottom of the pot to saute onions and add onions and the sausage. Chop up sausage as it cooks. Cook until sausage is done.
Add chicken stock, garlic and seasoning (go light on the Tony Chachere as Italian sausage can be a bit salty), bring to boil.
Add potatoes and cook for about 20 minutes on medium high.
Add collards and cook for 10 more minutes.
Stir in cream.
Serve up a bowl.
Post up like a SUPASTAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Remember to work with what you have. Soup is easy. If you don't have heavy cream, use milk with a bit of flour to thicken it. You know how to do it. If you don't...send me a message and I'll see how I can help you. All good cooks started off wrong. LOL!